The building itself is part of the külliye (similar to a monastery) of Yeni Mosque, and rents from the shops was the main source of maintenance and restoration the mosque. The structure was designed by the chief court architect Koca Kasım Ağa, but completed by architect Mustafa in 1660. It has a ‘L shape’ with two street with more than 80 shops.
It is also called as the Egyptian Bazaar for the local people as originally most spices have come from Egypt during the Ottoman period. All kind of spices, dried fruits, nuts and seeds, lokum (Turkish Delight) and as well as jewelry and texile items can be found in the bazaar.
It is one of the most colorfull place and it may be best place to see locals by trading.
*Next to Eminonu tramp stop
*Open everyday except religious festivals.