The tower was built as a fortress by the Byzantine Emperor Alexius Comnenus in 1110 AD, and was restored and slightly modified several times during the Ottoman period. It was used as a lighthouse, defending fortress, tax collecting office and prison for centuries both during the Roman and Ottoman periods. Today, the interior of the tower has been transformed into a popular cafe and restaurant, with an excellent view of the former Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman capital. It is one of the most important symbol of the city and most romantic PALACE especially in night time.
* There are shuttle boats from Kabataş from 09.00 am to 08.00 pm.